Categorized | News Release

Tom’s Tax Tips

The Taxing Side of Divorce

Courtesy of Tom Ploskanka C.P.A.

Getting divorced? Amid all the upheaval, taxes are not likely to be foremost on your mind. Yet overlooking the tax consequences can be costly. Here are some of the basics.

Your filing status will change. No matter if you get your final divorce decree or separate maintenance on January 1, December 31, or any date in between, as a calendar-year taxpayer, you’re considered unmarried for the whole tax year. That means you can only file as single, head of household (if you otherwise qualify), or qualifying widow(er).

Not all payments or receipts are taxable. You can deduct alimony paid to a spouse or former spouse under a divorce or separation decree, whether or not you itemize deductions. However, voluntary payments made outside a divorce or separation decree are not deductible. Alimony you receive is taxable in the year you get it.

Child support payments are neither deductible to the payer nor taxable income to the recipient.

Property settlements incident to divorce generally don’t have income tax consequences, although exceptions apply.

You may not be able to claim your dependents. Generally, you must be the custodial parent to be able to claim your child as a dependent. What’s a custodial parent? You’re considered a custodial parent if your child lived with you for the greater number of nights during the year. However, even if you’re not the custodial parent, you can claim your child if your former spouse releases the dependency exemption to you.  When that’s the case, you’ll need to attach Form 8332, Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent, to your tax return each year you claim the dependency exemption.

A divorce complicates your life in many ways. Let us ease your mind about the tax issues.

Leave a Reply

Please complete the simple math problem below. This \"CAPTCHA\" helps stop automated spam. * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Browse Current Issue - Click Here

Perth Amboy Calendar

WED. March 22

• City Council, Regular, 7 p.m.
City Hall, High St.

THURS. March 30

• State of the City Address, 6 p.m.
Public Safety Municipal Complex Auditorium, Raritan Bay YMCA Entrance, 357 New Brunswick Ave.

THURS. March 31

• Historic Preservation Commission, 7 p.m.
City Hall, High St.

All Meetings are at City Hall, High Street unless otherwise noted.
Stay informed! Attend public meetings. All are welcome!

South Amboy Calendar

WED. Mar. 22

• Planning Board, 7 p.m.
City Hall, North Broadway

WED. April 5

• City Council, Business, 6 p.m.
City Hall, North Broadway

Stay informed! Attend public meetings. All are welcome!